Thread: Alcohol Stoves
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #580
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Works great with GSI pans

I ordered these last week based on the glowing reviews and received the simmer stove and the original one. I read the review where he cooked the food on the cheap backpacking pans and it just heated the middle up. I ordered up some fairly expensive thin backpacking pans the GSI Pinnacle backpacker. Great set by the way, link below.

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-50171-Outd.../dp/B001LF3I0M

So I gave it a test run with the simmer stove and used the very thin pan with the set and the pan heated evenly all the way around, not just the middle. I moved the bacon to the edges of the pan and it was sizzling as it was evenly heating all the way around. Impressed with the pan and really impressed with the stove. Bacon was done in about 7 minutes. I am fairly confident with the good backpacking pans and this stove you could cook anything you like and it would cook it perfectly. The stoves are light and compact, anyone on the fence out there i say get off of it and pick these guys up.

Bottom of pan was super clean as well no soot no nothing, no odor , no noise, awesome little stove and priced fairly. Hope this helps someone , with the right backpacking pans and this stove you can go gourmet after way to many mountain house meals.

Only complaint would be the small footprint of the stove and i had to balance the pan the whole time but i think i could just lean the pan handle against a rock or something. and it would be fine.
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote