View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #614
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
I wonder how that went down , I know Danica / Stewart wanted that number for her in sprint cup .
I think this is how it went down:

NASCAR gives the owners "dibs" on their numbers. I do not know if they have to pay for them or whatever, but if you have run it, you get first right of refusal for the next season. They have stood pretty solid by that for some time. They do not retire numbers. For example Richard Childress still "owns" the #3, made famous by some guy. He says he wants it, NASCAR lets him have it and he does not run it in the Cup series.... An odd arrangement, but one that helps in the RG discussion.

When Danica came into the sport, RG was still signed onto the #7. They asked him about it, and he told them to pound sand, he was still racing. So they took up with the 10. RG finally hung up the full time NASCAR deal and told NASCAR he was not going to field a car with the 7 on it; it was free to fly.

Blaney put together a deal for a car and the #7 was his fathers Modified number, or his team owner's fathers number, or whatever and the deal stuck. The current #7 font is a throwback to that Modified car from whenever and wherever.

Danica and whoever had already started in with the 10....