View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #8720
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRR View Post
Agreed. I test rode one on Friday out of South Sound BMW. Talk about sh*t eatin' grin. Did about a one hour ride (the shop was slow). For comparison I own a R1100GS, an '03 R1150R and I have ridden a friends 2007 R1200GSA and his 2011 Camhead. The GSW is a departure from the air cooled. I just thought BMW came up with it just to comply with emission standards and that it wouldn't be anything better than the camhead. Not so. It was planted and easy to ride, the torque kicks in right past idle. My advice is to not pour over all the little details and minutia of the bike (there are a lot of mode switch buttons and such). Just ride it with no preconceived notions about what you think it should be and have a good time. As usual, ymmv. Good luck, also, with your current bike.

Just got back from an hour long test ride.

This bike had all the bells and whistles. I liked most of it. My regular ride is an 1150GS first registered on the 29th of April, 2003, I've put 180000km on it since then.

It felt light, powerful and manoeuvrable. Everything worked easily. Because I am used to a tighter throttle and clutch lever, it took me a while to get more used to this, but an hour wasn't enough.

Things I liked:
Ergonomics, so much better, seat on high, nice and narrow.
Power, shit it goes.
Brakes, outstanding
Wind-shield, nice
Sound, much better than the old standard exhaust sound.
Cruise control, loved it.
Suspension

Things I can take or leave:
Gearbox, the way it shifts
Adjustable suspension, have not used the bike on gravel, so not sure.
The water-cooling, completely unobtrusive, didn't bother me at all.

Things I didn't like:
Instruments, it's harder to see what's going on, dials too small
Throttle, takes a while to get used to
Brake leaver, seemed to pull too far in, but was probably adjusted for a shorted fingered midget.
A lot of plastic, still like the over all look , though

Would I buy it? Yes, I would. However, the old bomber is still going strong and I like how it squads down and goes around corners.

Kokopelli screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 12:56 AM
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote