View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #22688
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Air soft pellets seem like they would be too big and of too little density to do the job that Dyna Beads do. I just put Dyna Beads in and they are maybe .020" dia. at the largest, and probably made of ceramic. I've talked to someone who believes Dyna Beads are just ceramic bead-blasting media and found a 50 lb. bucket for about $200. If a bunch of us go in on a bucket, that's $4 a pound (about 4-8 tires worth), vs. about $80/lb. when sold as "Dyna Beads". I'm gonna PM the dude and see if he's looked into this further.

I'd take 10 lbs of that.... It'd be nice to have some Dyna Beads and these beads side by side to check em out..

As for the size of the beads... I can see where the smaller beads would make smaller 'cluster size' around the locations where they come to dynamic rest, however, it would have the same effect physically as a larger size cluster from larger beads. It would in effect be a practical equivalence.... or so I would think.

I can imagine advantages and disadvantages to different bead sizes and densities. I think it would take a proper research project to find out the facts though. If anyone has a crush meter we could find out their relative strength (crush point) at least ;)

So far though... I am happy with the result with the airsoft. I'd be nice though to be able to add them through the valve stem as with dyna-beads.

Smiles,
Karl

btblueskies screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 07:41 AM
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote