Suprised no one has mentioned Gaston Rahier who won this year on the 1000 cc bored out R80G/S (completely customized). pretty amazing that they won Dakar on such large bikes! (they are limited to 450cc now)...
Good thread from when Gaston Rahier died on ADV rider, back in 2005
The other event that is put on the by folks who put on the tour de france
- This was a spectacular era in my opinion!
- Stock-based vehicles were still competitive.
- Rothmans customized Porsche 911s into 4WD! And were highly competitive!!
- the famous BMW R80G/S (800cc) won several Dakar in a row (I owned one of these - spectacular!), and BMW was still competitive in motorcycle racing
- Range Rover was extremely competitive, in actual range rovers!
- Mercedes not only had G wagens but customized SL Coupes!!
- Large trucks racing actually played a pivotal role in support for the race actually hauling the supplies for the race!
- Way more down and dirty, lots of interaction with the locals
- The world was a much safer place and polarization of some of these poorer regions hadn't occurred yet..