View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #29596
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Find myself shopping for second handgun. I'd like to pair it with a Marlin in the same calibre. That puts me in the .357 or .44 mag area. I'm buying it primarily as a "toy", cheap to feed gravel pit gun (the Marlin) and thinking SA for the hand gun. Ruger (again)? The Marlin is first on the list....any problems feeding it .38? Figure the .357 will get the nod....except, .357 isn't a very "traditional" SA round. The shopping is half the fun of the thing..
Lyle
I have a Marlin 1894 in 357......actually, my girlfriend now has it, she loves it more than I do.....and it seems to feed 38s just fine. I wasn't all that thrilled with the accuracy I could get from it, I'm an old bolt-action guy since the 1960s, and find I get irritated when a rifle won't produce at least 2" groups at 100 yards, which the Marlins generally will not do. In fact, I couldn't get that level of accuracy at 50 yards out of the 357. I have handguns that I can shoot that well from a rested position, so am perplexed why I cannot do at least that well with a rifle, but there it is.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote