Thread: The Roxy Report
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Natural Falls DS Ride

Natural Falls Ride - 4/26/13 - 4/27/13

A while back I found out about a DS ride not far from home that sounded like fun. It basically starts from Natural Falls State Park and ends in Tahlequah, OK, with a majority of the roads being unpaved and quite scenic, following parts of the Illinois River. Fellow inmate airdale7 is very familiar with this area and provided some helpful input, which I am thankful to him for. So Okraider81 and I started planning the ride. The state park is nearly 100 miles from home though, and we’ll have a little less than that on our way home, so that has to be taken into consideration. We wanted to camp at the state park and get an early start. I had also spent some time looking at Google and Google Earth for other areas that we might be able to explore as well. It looks like our ride was going to be around 300 miles.

There were a few things we needed to do before we left though. Neither of us had done an overnighter like this on our bikes, so a little more thought had to be put into what we needed to bring, how to pack and load it onto our bikes, etc. We had new equipment that needed to be tested too, such as my new camp stove (works as expected, taking ~3 minutes to boil 2 cups of water).

With all the rain we’ve had recently, I was a little concerned about running dual sport tires on some of the areas we would be riding. I figured most of the roads would be maintained, so those weren’t a real concern, but I also had plans to explore some of the area in and around Cherokee State Game Refuge, and it’s possible some of those roads could be pretty sketchy. So I put Roxy back in “R” mode. Fortunately it’s a fairly simple procedure, even with swapping out the front brake caliper.

I also wanted to do my final packing and make a test run to satisfy myself that I had all my gear sufficiently tied down (gotta love Rok Straps!). So I got her all loaded up and tied down and ran into town to fill up so I wouldn’t have to on my way out of town. Everything seemed fine.

Oh, and last but definitely not least, I got some ADV stickers finally, so a couple for Roxy and one for my helmet

zekester63 is offline   Reply With Quote