View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
Cousteau OP
...seeking adventure

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by myorangecrayon View Post
This trip looks awesome... I'm from Colombia and would love to have an epic ride down to my hometown of Cali. Can you give a bit more detail on why you picked the Triumph as opposed to a BMW R1200GS or a Multistrada? Keep going strong, be safe!
Glad you are enjoying the trip. I LOVE Colombia. I've been coming here for work for many years, but always to the main cities. This time I want to see a different side of things and I know it won't disappoint. I can't wait to go down to Cali. It's a part of the country I've always wanted to see.

I had meant to go into greater detail of why the Triumph up top, but the Ride Report got ahead of me and I never had a chance to go back and explain, so thanks for asking the question. I chose the Triumph for a couple of reasons instead of a BMW or the Ducati. Both those bikes are fantastic machines and I have nothing against them. BWM is the standard of excellence and all RTW trips, from the rudimentary to the extreme, have been done on a BMW. That in part is what made me look at alternatives. There is also a certain stigma that surrounds BWM and BMW riders. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Triumph, in my mind's eye, is the comeback kid. It is a brand and a concept that is among the oldest in the world in terms of motorcycles, but had an turn in fortune a few decades ago. The new company that is rebuilding the brand has worked tirelessly in doing so and found some fantastic engineers, taken the best from the adventure, and applied their own "spark" and taken their machines to the next level.

Why the Tiger 800XC specifically, and why 800 versus the 1200? Well, I had owned V-twin bikes in the past and for long trips those small vibrations this specific design of engine creates starts to wear on your. I remember it getting so bad sometimes that my hands would get numb and it would take me a few minutes to get the feeling back. The three cylinder engine, it also obviously vibrates, but it's smoother and thus far I haven't gotten that feeling, even on days I've riden 10+ hours. Also, the power is quite smooth and even, 2 gear is super tall, so it's great off road, and for the roads in Latin America, you just don't need 1200cc, this 800 is plenty of power, even with a fully loaded bike.

Hope that answers your questions. If you have any tips of things to see around Cali and the Eje Cafetero, please let me know.
Facebook
Twitter: @2wheelchronicle

Cousteau screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 08:33 PM
Cousteau is offline   Reply With Quote