Thread: Brian&Jill2013
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #22
2ongs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
the title of this post will be "Bizarre". as we said last when we got into Amarillo last night it was in the 90's, this morning it was in the 40's with serious wind, 35-40 mph gusts and a chance of rain and even snow later. the wind was blowing so hard, the sky was gray, kinda eerie. we decided to give it a try because we knew we were going to get off the I 40 (route 66) and take back roads into OK. we had to get on the I40 for a while before we could get on the 207 south. the wind was kinda hairy, the aches of the last week of riding intensified due to my white knuckling the hand grips, fighting the cross winds.

but before we started heading toward OK, I wanted to see the Cadillac Ranch.

Once we saw that, headed out of Amarillo, turned of the I-40 onto the 207 south. as soon as we turned south the wind wasn't a factor anymore and it was a really nice ride. Just as we started south, we came upon the "VW Ranch", just like the Cadillac Ranch, except with VW's.

we found this ride in our scenic roads book. the scenery started in Claude and went all the way to Silverton. Started as farm land and then transitioned down into red rock cyn. lots of "curvy Motorcycle roads". as long as we were going south it was great.

along the way we saw some wild life, a few deer, one of them was even alive, two wild Turkeys and a fox.
the weather sucked pretty much all day but still had a good ride. stopped in Silverton for lunch at the Malt Shop, been there since "1955", and pretty much the only place we could find.

we stopped in Altus OK for the night. it was 77 degrees when we pulled in at the Best Western, by the time we went to dinner in felt like it might snow, there's actually that possibility tomorrow. we'll see how the weather is in the morning.
2ongs is offline   Reply With Quote