View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #631
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Toroweap Camping with Dad: Day Two

Here is the sunrise from my sleeping bag. Dad was already awake and down at the overlook. I was sleeping in.

I hopped on my bike and rode down to the overlook. First direct sun rays were just hitting the canyon. The river was still in the shadows.

Quickly found Dad. He was all set up doing his thing.

After a bit, we doubled back to the campsite. Time for a relaxing morning and breakfast. We planned to go back to the overlook about noon. Wanted to get some pics with full sun on the river. Here is our camp at mid-morning.

Short hike. Scenery near the campsite.

Our bikes near the picnic tables. The group site has a very nice set-up and probably the most privacy.

Dad relaxing, mid-way through breakfast. We took advantage of all the table space and spread out.

After packing up we ride back down to the overlook.

Here's my promo bit for Wolfman. Waiting for my free stuff . . . can always use another Wolf Holster.

In the "parking lots" getting ready to go take pictures. We carried all our camping gear, gas, water, food, and Dad's tripod. No problem.

Looking downstream. In addition to taking pics, I was using binoculars to watch rafters set-up and run Lava Falls. Saw five clean runs, all right on line. One kayak guy took a tumble but immediately got back up. I assume that is standard for kayaks in big whitewater.

Here's Dad. Probably from about where he took the prior pic of me.

Another shot of Dad in his natural element. We spent at least two hours enjoying the various views. Really nice to appreciate the vastness and beauty of the canyon.

Looking upstream in full sun. No shade on river.

Time to go.

The scenery close to the rim is so nice. We stopped often to take more pics. Beautiful blue sky. Figured we'd twist the throttle and burn up the miles once we got closer to Colorado City and especially back on pavement.

The mighty TW with gear.

Open road and perfect skies. Vastness of the AZ Strip!

Definite stop at the old grader.

Blue sky helps this pic alot.

Details. This old grader is a real gem.

We start to move north, but still stop for a tumbleweed shot.

And Dad with the road ahead.

Our exit plan is via Colorado City. Combined with the Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse, this makes a nice loop.

Skyscape.

Dad and I settled in to our "leapfrog" pattern. Here's my shot of roadside scenery. There is a stretch of this road through the Black Rocks that is very scenic.

How about this for a sense of scale?

We reconnect and shift off the lead.

More scenery shots. On good days, the AZ Strip is a dual sport paradise.

By late afternoon we can the Vermillion Cliffs behind Colorado City. It was a good ride with Dad. The overnight makes the trip. We call the two women in our lives. All is well on the home front. Time for a relaxed pavement ride plus dinner on the way back to St. George.

Final pic. Highly recommend the moto camping. Get out and ride.

Thanks inmates and lurkers. Appreciate all the positive comments and PMs. Have fun, stay safe!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 05:24 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote