View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #309
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Oh wow i didn't know it could be this simple! thanks a bunch! Do you always mount and balance your own wheels or just sometimes?

Greatly appreciate it Browneye!
I'm a cheap bastard so I can't imagine paying someone to do something that I can do myself.

For a motorbike you need to be able to change your own tires if you run tubes. If you get a flat out on the road or in the boonies there's no one going to come rescue your ass. If you have AAA I guess you could just have it towed home if you get a flat, but that would probably not work where we go. If you have tubeless you could probably get by with always using an installer as you can generally just plug them if you pick up a nail or screw. I always carry a spare tube, patch kit, irons, and a 12v air compressor. A front tube will work in the back in a pinch. For long distance I carry a spare for front and rear. You need some rim protectors if you're going to use tire irons on the Tiger XC black wheels. I cut pieces out of plastic container lids. Otherwise your rims will look like caca. If you do scratch one a Sharpie pen works wonders.

I have two sets of tires for my XC. FullBore USA Adventure tires and the Pirelli Scorpion Trails that came on it. Will change them out based on the type of riding I'm going to be doing. I won't change them for every ride, but one is definitely better than the other on dirt, and the other is definitely better on pavement.

Once I have them balanced up I mark the valve stem location on the sidewall with some white auto touch-up paint. A paint marker works for this too. That way if you change out the tires, or have to dismount to repair in the field, you can get them back to the correct balance place. I also notate how many miles I put on each so I can keep track of wear longevity, and how much weight each set requires so I can adjust if necessary.

Field repairs require a centerstand or an enduro-star stand. You need some way to hold the bike up for wheel removal. With a center stand the side stand works stellar as a bead breaker. The 21 front is easy to break down, virtually impossible by hand for the rear. And enduro-star stand works great for a dualsport. I carry mine on the tiger as well for holding up front or back once it's on the center. I"m usually well loaded with gear, so this is also a great tool to carry.

I use a cheap slime air pump, took the guts out and threw away the housing, installed an SAE connector so I can just plug into the charge port. Kept the air pressure dial and the on/off switch. It's really handy to use but gets hot, so you let it cool before stowing away again. And now it fits under the seat. Also good for airing back up if you lower pressure for off pavement going. 22-23 lbs on the Tiger makes a HUGE difference in traction and ride. Back up to 36/42 for hiway. If you run tubed tires on the hiway at the low pressure you're likely to burn them right up.

browneye screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 08:20 AM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote