View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,862
Thrills, Spills and Chills in Moab, UT

Moab is one of those places we all want to go because it is so unique and picturesque in the riding world. I have been invited a few times in the past and only made it once before. Work/life/school gets in the way of meshing schedules for a trip and they get postponed over and over. For our little group of Slowred, Refokus, 4play and myself, it all finally came together in April 2013!

Having been there once before I had tracks to hit the high points, like Top of the World and Onion Creek, Chicken Corners and Kane Creek, and of course, the White Rim Trail. Slowred and I were anxious to try the infamous 5 Miles of Hell trail, even though it isn't technically in Moab. Though with what happened on day 2 of riding, Slowred had his 5 Miles of Hell (and then some).

I didn't find out until we got there that Bucket Boy was in town and willing to show us around. He has lived in the area and even been a tour guide there, so I quickly deferred to him and followed along.

Riders and bikes:
Slowred - KTM 350 XCF-W
Refokus - KTM 450 EXC
4play - KTM 600 XC
Yardstick - KTM 530 EXC
Bucket Boy - KTM 250 EXC

I hitched a ride in the Slowred-mobile. My bike decided to take a nap in his driveway before loading it. It was sitting on the kickstand, on hard ground, nice and stable and then a few minutes later it was over on its right side. We hoped it wasn't a sign of things to come.

A view of the San Francisco Peaks as we approached Flagstaff, AZ.

Entering Utah on my little shortcut that avoids the twists, turns, hills and slow motorists in Monument Valley.

The end of April is a very buggy time of year to cross Arizona and Utah.

Slowred and I met up with Refokus and 4play in Flagstaff for a bite to eat, then did different gas stops on the way to Moab and finally arrived at the condo at the same time! One of these things is not like the other! One of these things could dig holes in solid rock!
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote