View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #636
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Round trip to Brian Head

Did the moto shuttle to/from Brian Head yesterday. Very windy. Wanted to bring the Vulcan back to St. George for riding IronMan support this weekend. Looks like it'll be a good event. City is packed with athletes.

Avoided I-15 coming and going. Always best to take the scenic route, especially since I was riding the WRR up, getting in position for the summer riding season.

Downtown Pinto.

Stopped in to check out the cemetery on the edge of town.

Quite a few old gravestones in good shape. Lots of local history revealed in this marker.

A little further up the road is the Page Ranch House.

Plaque. Interesting.

Old wagon out front.

And old farm equipment.

Star on the map shows the location. Although it is dirt, you could get here with any road bike except perhaps a Goldwing or FJR.

Active mines and a private short-haul rail line in the area. Did I say it was cold and windy?

Exploring a side track near one of the abandoned mines.

Cattle operations.

Comstock Road, west of Cedar City, near the mines. Used to be paved, long ago.

Near Iron Springs.

This "artwork" probably originated somewhere else, not southern Utah. One must appreciate a certain talent here.

Perhaps my favorite pic of the day.

A few more of the UP engine. These things are huge!

Approximate location of the rail yard.

Another old house.

This one in Summit, UT. Nice paved frontage road to Parowan.

Picked up the Vulcan in Brian Head. Continued up to Cedar Breaks. This road won't be open for another month.

Loop down towards Panguitch Lake, then cut-off to Mammoth Creek. Great paved roads. It is amazing how fast the snow disappears once you drop 1,000 ft elevation from Brian Head.

Mammoth Creek at peak run-off. Probably enough water flow for the inflatable kayaks to really get rippin'. But it would be cold. And you could end up walking alot, or picking your way through debris jams.

Quick stop at McDonald Lake, just off Highway 89 near Alton. High water. A side trip to Alton is worthwhile if you find yourself in the area with extra time. Scenic road.

Lots of great sweepers on 89.

Classic.

Details.

We all know where this is . . .

Finally warmed up down low. Home through Zion.

Thanks for ridin' along. Stay safe out there.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 02:10 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote