View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #64
Mark_O
BuyMyChair

Oddometer: 15,761
30 minutes away....make 2 trips. I gotta think of everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I'll have to work on my travelling setup for the WR450. I'm only 30 minutes from the RDV rally at the Black Bear and it's a little embarrassing to be hauling it over. I just haven't gotten my bike camping act together yet. The main issue is I recently mounted dirt knobbies, and they are too much trouble to swap out for d/s tires. I think from now on I'll just run the Shinko 244 rear on it, grippy in the dirt, cheap, easy to mount, and street-able. Seems like the perfect tire for me, but I haven't tried one on the 450 yet, so the first one will be a test run. I'd hoped the Pirelli MT43 would the right rear for a d/s tire, but I found myself suck at the bottom of too many hills. If I'm going to be let down by my tires I'd rather it be called a dual sport tire to begin with!

How much crap can I except to pack on a little bike for a weekend camping trip? I can't quite see my queen size air mattress & 3 room tent fitting anywhere. I'm sure I will see a lot of good solutions from you guys at the RDV. Maybe one of those one-wheel trailers would be the ticket? Then I could bring my "Sallydog" along too, I have his/her twin, who would just love to travel like that.

I can't see myself spending $800 on a little trailer, but maybe I can make a DIY version. I wouldn't think it really needs a shock absorber unless I go off-road. My driveway is probably the worst it would see!