View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #70
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
High Fender

Been mulling this over the last few days... While it is almost essential to get rid of the low profile front fender unless you're strictly riding pavement/dusty tracks/dunes, it has it's advantages in the aforementioned areas and also is super handy in the rain... I'm thinking of fabricating two sheet aluminum brackets about 2" tall to relocate the low fender bolts higher, thus shifting the fender up that 2". I did this on the F650 simply by using some spacers on the fork brace (it's not an upside down fork front end). I still managed to fill it once, but in all fairness it was an extreme exception (hail storm on a dust trail, LOL!). I will most likely have the low fender off for the majority of the time and still use a high fender, but for long trips/desert/dusty conditions I'd prefer to have it on.

Has anyone else fabricated their own relocation brackets for the low fender? Successfully? A pic of the Dak chugging along in the muck:

I also leaned down the low fender on the sides to aid the tire to clean itself out. Dang, that pic was a long time ago... before most of the tear down on the bike even, LOL! March in the Rockies isn't a lot of fun unless you have a twisted sense of humor!

*Edit: I think raising the front fender may be folly now that I think about it more... It might get crushed by the triple tree, lol! I'll have to check clearances when the forks are empty and I can bottom them out.
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 05:13 AM
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote