View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #246
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Thanks, it costs a lot of time but it is worth it.

Day 5
This would be the thoughest day, I'm looking forward to it. I start the first special at a leisurely pace. I drive smooth and flowing, less racy than the other days. At the end of the special we come through the shady side of the mountain with still quite a lot of snow.

The liaison requires a lot of navigate which is fun, 100m left, 150m T-junction etc. Then follows a tunnel that was getting colder as you get further till the end. The remote service I have time enough for a Souflaki, Coke and some talking to other participants.

http://youtu.be/m6t-X0cPEqQ

The second special is 117km and of the fast type again. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere at a checkpoint I got offered some strong liquir. Why not, we are in Greece. At the moment I sip the drink the people at the nearby house started cheering.

At km 80 I see clouds of dust of the rider in front of me. At a checkpoint he noticed me gives gas again, I get a little lost but, because it is easy to navigate (tracks and distinct features) I can follow the route on a solid pace. Eventually I find out that my ICO is indicating to little, how that is possible is not clear to me. The last 5km are a wide open red gravel road, the dust cloud is fresher again which works like a red rag to a bull. I get the English Desert Rose rider in sight. Like mad man we drive to the finish where I end up at 2m from him. Bouncing by adrenaline we give our the time card to the orga. Other participants come in under the same conditions with a hefty kick and full of adrenaline.

In the liaison there is an error in the roadbook. The organization is called and they will send somebody. Eventually we decided not to wait but to drive on GPS. Because there is a road flushed away by a mountain we must take a detour. Around 19hrs we arrive at the bivouac.

I finish today at the 29e plce what brings me to 39 in the standings. Today only 4 minutes penalty, I am learning.

http://youtu.be/XZN-Xp26VrA

GezwindeSpoed screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 11:06 PM
GezwindeSpoed is offline   Reply With Quote