Our adventure started. After selling our belongings and preparing this journey for about one year, we are traveling around the world on motorbikes with our dogs. We totally change our lifestyle and want to see more than eighty countries, spend more then five years on the road. The rough plan is like this. We will spend summer 2013 in Europe, one year Africa, one year South America, one year North America, one year through Siberia, Mongolia, Russia, Asia and the fifth year in Australia.
We are a German-Finnish couple with dogs as our children. Biking together since 2006! :) We left our home in Lohja/Finland and are without a permanent address as of now. Our home is there where our bikes are.
Here is our track as of 14Nov2013 (20+tkm and 21 countries)
We already maintained our blog
) for about one year before the start. Feel free to read about the preparations and planning as well as more details about the sidecar.
Some of the highlights so far:
Meet the family
Wolfgang / Wolfi
Ilta a.k.a. Satu, Skippy & mamma
- Born in Saarland, Germany and emigrated '93
- I like good food ("Hauptsach gudd gess") and dark beer
- My favorite sport is Ju-Jutsu and related weapons
- Engineer and main mechanic in the family
- Love to build things (can now spend my energy in the sidecar project and learning to fix our bikes)
- A topic which is close to my heart reveals in me cheer unlimited amount of energy and enthusiasm (warning: energy level might be hazardous to others)
- Vegetarian since 2009, vegan since 2010
- Finnish from nationality, but not really a traditional Finn... Fluent in English and German goes rather well
- Karate is one of my biggest passions and has been basically my lifestyle since 1992! First decade Goyuryu and now Wadoryu
- Love all sorts of other sports too, like running, swimming and dancing, just can't stay still for too long...
- Vegetarian/vegan since 1999 and 80/10/10 low fat raw vegan since 03/2013
- Biking license got on September 2006 and instantly bought my Suzi, which was love at first sit! <3
- Kind of a hippie, a bit artistic, musical and a real film geek ;)
- The cook in the family! Love inventing new recipes, especially raw food stuff :)
- Passionate gardener and will try to invent someways to do it on the road as well...
- Poodle mix
- born about 2000, rescued to our family in 2011
- about 11kg
- half blind and most likely half deaf also, but absolutely adorable!
- mom's guardian :)
- loves pillows!
- snores as hell!
- loves carrots, turnips, beetroots, apples... A real vegetarian by nature!
- Bichon Frise-Miniature Poodle mix
- born 2005
- about 5kg
- the great 'lumberjack'!
- loves to hunt leaves
- indoors only balls are fine toys!
- apples and pears are great delicacies
Suzuki V-Strom DL650
- Toy Poodle
- born 2008
- about 1.5kg
- frisbee geek, the bigger the better!
- the boss of the gang, eventhough is the smallest!
- makes cat and chicken noises :)
The bike is from year 2004 and has abt. 68.000km on the odometer.
Following extras, modifications & add-ons:
- Lower saddle (came with the bike)
- Jesse luggage Odyssey II (www.jesseluggage.com
- Givi topcase
- Watercooler protection (Touratech)
- Reusable stainless steel oilfilter (www.scottsonline.com
- Reusable airfilter (K&N)
- Engine guard (Suzuki)
- Oil cooler guard (Touratech)
- Crash bars (Suzuki)
- Headlampprotection (Touratech)
Barbies on the topcase ;)
Details on sidecar
The bike is a BMW R1150GSA (MY02) with 36000km on the meter. The front fork is a Sauer and the supportframe is a modified Sauer. The sidecar-specific building work was done by Mueller Gespanne. The sidecar is a shortened Mobec Enduro. It has been modified in such a way that our dogs can sit in there and enjoy the scenery. Additionally there is a door added to the sidecar which is - when opened - a ramp for the dogs, so they can climb in and out by themselves without us lifting them.
Plenty of things I changed myself e.g., the rear-axle drive is from the R850GS (ratio 37/11), Siebenrock clutch, etc. I have three Zarges box (2x#40837 @ sidecar, 1x40678 as topcase) and the panniers are Odyssey I from Jesse-luggage. All together, I have about 550l of space for all sorts of sensible and nonsense stuff.
The story of SilberWolf can be found here
Here is the link
to a little maitenance to prepare the bike. And here
we were testing the luggage space
Enjoy the reading
Skippy & Wolfi
Thank you for your contribution: