View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Stinko de Mayo dere, eh?

Last week in the western U.P. we enjoyed widespread flooding followed by a snowstorm that broke a 100 year old record. True to the adage, "If ya don't like the weather, just wait a while and you'll probably like it even less." We got over 15 inches of wet heavy snow, and some areas got even more. Now the forecast is for more warm weather and that means, you guessed it, more flooding.

But today the sun tried to shine, and the temps attempted to reach 40, so I rode!

The pavement is clear, but the back roads still look like this:

Or this:

While some are more like this:

I got stopped on this particular road by a washed out culvert, the victim of last week's snowmelt no doubt. I considered jumping the gap but decided not to... the old culvert was in my way.

One good thing: I am getting better at riding in snow...

It was when I was viewing the ducks and geese swimming on the water treatment plant's pond that I realized it was Cinco de Mayo. As far as I know, there's no connection between waterfowl and May 5, but that's when it popped into my head. Riding in snow on Cinco de Mayo. Hmmm...
Oh yes, here are said 'fowls on aforementioned treatment pond:

Lousy picture I know.

These photos probably make the U.P. look like a dream destination, and I'm sure all reading this want to move here right away. But belay there! In the weeks to come, as the roads and trails dry out, I'll show you the uglier side of the yoop, it's seamy underbelly. And then you'll see why you must stay far away...

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is online now   Reply With Quote