View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
aldntn OP
Vgo

Oddometer: 274
Ok

Here's the way I visualized this weekend: after a long winter, cold and wet spring and limited fun weekend opportunities, this would be a fun weekend for the wife and myself: mild weather, fun destination....

The destination was for Saturday. For every second of every minute of every hour from midnight Friday to midnight Saturday, it rained. So, riding the bike just didn't happen. I probably wouldn't even be talking about it if we had taken the bike.

Still, we went, had a great, if wet, time. So, first the State Parks.

Standing Stone State Park

I was looking for the Standing Stone, but didn't find it. It is a nice park in a scenic area. The amenities are modest, maybe typical. Nice camping and cabins. Remoteness is probably the best feature of the park. A nice destination.

I'm pretty sure this is for marble play:

Of course, I lost mine a long time ago:

Scenic and twisty roads:

But when its been raining a lot; you're going to look at .... water

Water

Water

Wife and water

You get the idea:

Some history that I'm not clear on:

Pleasant and scenic spots;

And just so you are informed:

By the way, visiting the parks, the rain was light and intermittent. A vast improvement over the day before,

Burgess Falls next.

On further Google Mapping:

View Larger Map

It seems I missed some major stuff here...at least some promising looking roads. So, being in the area looking at another park, I did a little refresh. The road Google calls "Beach" is shown as "Beech" on the signs at the park. It is a narrow, twisty piece of tarmac that drops steeply down to the lake shore line opposite of the dam.

Nice shore line with picnic tables and I think you can camp back there. There is a lodge at the end. The road keeps going and eventually turns into a mildly maintained gravel road. After climbing up a steep, heavily rutted, twisty grade, I stopped on level ground to take a picture. It was late and I hadn't planned on exploring forest service roads, so I turned around. Some other time for that.

The climb back out to the main road:

Narrow stuff. Two F150s would be scraping mirrors.

09 DL650ABS

aldntn screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 01:38 PM
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote