View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by nba74 View Post
Switchs problems seems to be a common problem with others bmw models as well, mine had a turning switch failure at 1000km and sometimes the starter switch get stuck too and you need to push it a bit harder. A friends bike got all left console failure after a wash... So sooner or later I hope that a recall is needed.
Went to BMW's shop today and their vereduct is to exchange both left and right switch consoles ! Unfortunatelly there are none available in Brazil and they will have to be imported from Germany which should take 20 to 30 days.

Once warranty was aprooved for an exchange, we had it opened and spray some WD 40 inside the switches and they all came to life again !

The mechanics do not know the reason for this type of filure but suspect that it may be water related. Pesonally I don't beliebve so as the "grab effect" seems to be purely mechanical. In any event they did advise me that, prior to the exchange i would better cover them with a plastic foil before washing the bike.

It also seems that they had similar problems with the K 1600 that use similar switches.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote