View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I'm running a 2011 GearUp (12500 km now) that I purchased new from Gene at Holopaw Corvette. He warned me that each one usually has at least one issue. With mine it turned out to be a bad rear brake light switch that stayed on. Caught that in the first mile. He replaced immediately.

His set up of the bike was perfect. Tracks hands-off (well hands light) straight on a flat road.

Found the drum of the spare was cast a little wide (rubbing interior of FD when I first put it on.) Removed 3 mm with a brake lathe (friend with a service station). No biggy.

Beyond that, get used to the noises, fuel, ride, change oil, set tappets, ride, change tire, ride....you get the idea

By 5000km the engine was stronger and I didn't need so much throttle. At 10,000km better yet and mileage improved from 26-27 to 30-33 (depending on headwind and throttle hand). For someone used to modern engines that are RTG from the get-go waiting for the break-in may be trying and cause early disappointment.

I've been back at Gene's a couple of times (his training/500km service was the only "required" one and even that he said I could do myself). Mostly to get fairing, sidecar windshield). Getting used to the noises took the longest and still gets me sometimes. But everything works fine.

When I first looked at the bike Gene told me "think tractor and you've got the idea." Still works if I start thinking something is clunky

PS - my son says I like it because I can spend half my time riding and half "adjusting" thinks - he's not wrong!
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote