View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Russia,Mongolia,Ukraine.....Netherlands on a KLR

I am adding the below link to show the route I took. The son of a friend made the map and daily links of my travels so his mother could follow along easier. I wish I knew how to create things like this.
http://user.xmission.com/~bendigr/dougtrip.html
================================================== ===================

I am planning to ride my '06 KLR650 from Cincinnati to Vancouver,Canada the last week of May. From there I want to fly the bike to Seoul,Korea. From there I will need to get insurance,license,and hopefully nothing else to ride in their country.I will ride it to a port on the Sea of Japan and put it on a ferry to Zarubino,Russia.I want to use this ferry instead of Vladivostok.The huge amount of traffic going to Vladivostok means you may wait 4 days after arriving,just for your turn in customs. The ferry going to Zarubino just started service March 17.So there is a possibility something could go amiss.

I know of several others going about the same time.Hope to meet up with any of them if possible. I was going to post my blog on Horizons Unlimited (never done that before) because they seem to be more oriented to Asian travel.But after looking at how to set it up,I threw in the towel. Way too complicated for my simple mind.

With 2 weeks to go,I am not looking too good.I have the rear shock apart waiting for parts.Last night I started replacing the fork seals and oil.With 32,000 miles on the bike,I thought I better replace the worn bushing also.All my parts should be here by Thursday.Below is what the bike looks like now.

I am not ready for this trip in any way. Schedule,route,things to see,language skills,or packing. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to replace my netbook.It looks like a year learning curve.So I won't be able to use it to full potential.It does have a translation app. Of course I know nothing about apps. I read that I could buy a hotspot and a sim card (whatever they are) when I get there,and use the tablet as an international phone.

Doogle screwed with this post 03-01-2014 at 08:37 PM
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote