View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
From Caleveras County you could do a few things...

My best recommendation scenic-wise would be to take hwy 49 up to hwy 26 at Mokulumne Hill, take 26 east to hwy 88 and then hwy 88 to 89 north and up into South Lake Tahoe. Pick your shore to ride... east or west they are both great, or spend the day there and do the whole loop around the lake. Either way, you'll end up on the north shore and from there I'll let someone else take over for the route advice.

Someone mentioned taking one of the mountain passes... hwy 120 through Yosemite NP (Tioga Pass) over to hwy 395 north is AMAZING but a little out of the way and slow-going through the park -- traffic and the rangers are everywhere and they WILL pull you over -- 35 mph limit. Hwy 108 (Sonora Pass) to 395 is a little less out of the way but pretty nice as well. Better fun factor for sure but not quite as scenic. Depending on where you are in Caleveras County hwy 4 (Ebbets Pass) to 395 is a nice ride and not really out of the way. You can then take 395 all the way to Gardnerville, NV and shoot over the Kingsbury Grade into South Lake Tahoe. These routes will take a bit longer than the above 49-26-88-89 route.

I go to South Lake Tahoe quite a bit and my favorite way to get there is the 88 to 89 route I mentioned first. Just try and avoid it on a weekend though!

dtp screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 04:33 PM
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote