Thread: Norra 2013
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #1042
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroot View Post
John Volkman helped us out in Loreto with some parts. When we went to his pit, it was dark and we spent an hour or two doing maintenance with him. At one point the flashlight went across his arm, and I was like- WTF happened to you. He had road rash ALL OVER his body, I mean he was tore up. He calmly explained that he had been hit by a truck on course, then went back to helping us out.

That guy is one tough MO-FO. And one heck of a nice guy.
At the start of the race on the lake bed I went over to John & introduced myself. I told him we must be the two oldest idiots in the race. John's 61 & I'll be 65 next month. Later I found out there was a guy from Mass. who is 69!(He didn't finish.) Anyway I got into the hot whirlpool with John the day after the end of the race at Cabo Azul. I couldn't believe it. He really was tore up. He is one tough SOB. I talked to his wife Suzanne when we left the next day. She was PISSED. I've only just met these people but I would be honored to have them for friends. That's the thing about racing in Baja. It takes a special breed. The bonding & camaraderie are almost immediate. You feel like you've known these people all your life. Pretty simple really. The're just like you!