View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #83
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I Love giving suggestions on others bikes...

Here's my insignificant take:

You have the perfect colored bike for putting a white / or clear Safari Tank (yes, I can't believe I said "clear")... because this is a perfect looking set up. If you really want to take advantage of the long range capabilities... This is it.

I totally relate with you on "no advertising". Not to upset others ( who doesn't love a Red Bull Blue Rally Replica or Repsol Orange/ Black/ Red)... But I love the statement of a bike purely naked of advertising... with the subtle manufacturers model on it.

I'm not sure why you don't like the Baja moniker... It's KTM's last opportunity to brand the bike for adventure, which is more of a grass roots logo then the Bedouin "Dakar" logo ( which to me is no longer relevant to this model). The bike hasn't been allowed into the Dakar Rally since S.A.. If you feel the need to loose the "limited edition" logo... so be it.

If you like a bike that's "dirty", "scratched" and "worn" yet looks clean.. Here's a viable solution:

Add the Safari Tank. Then sand down all the stock white plastic with a fine grit wet or dry to give it a "matte" look. Spray matte clear afterward to seal the finish and protect.

Create a stencil on adhesive paper in simple "block" font style ( like on the Safari Tanks) so you can re-spray the logo on to the side covers or tank for a touch up... similar to CJDesigns did for his AWD bike.

What you end up with is a matte white bike that looks utilitarian, looks modern, doesn't easily show it's scratches... And can have any body panel re-touched with a touch up... including stenciled in logos. And remembering, this is how the stock Safari Tank already looks, so it's a perfect match.

Ending blather now.
The only hick-up with that brilliant plan, which it is btw, is the cost factor... Right now I am kind of at my bike budget limit for the year after having bought not only the 990, but also an '08 450 EXC-R, lol! The Safari tanks are probably what I will end up mounting just for the fuel range, but I need to plan that out before I do. Plenty to consider... New crash bars, yes definitely "translucent" tanks (it's like getting a free fuel gauge too!!!) and the suspension hike to 265mm... I may find the $$$ in the budget next month or the month after depending on how much more of the year I spend over seas, but I'm possibly looking at another $5000CDN!!! Meh, just money, right? I do like the look of CJ's bike though... Unassuming to the untrained eye, a weapon in the eyes of an ADV rider, LOL! I hate bling on my bikes... Nothing against anyone else's bling, just for me I like subtle. I do LOVE the Red Bull bikes, but I'm not a pro and don't want anyone to think I am.

I only want to cover up the Baja stuff cause I don't want it branded as a special edition... Cause it isn't. It's just another 990 with 210mm travel, lol! I'll brand it something when it gets it's suspenders and tanks though, but discreetly!

Thanks for your input man! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who likes to ride out of the limelight, lol!

Cheers!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote