View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Off to Meet the Jews in LA then Mexico

Every year around Memorial Day, members of my tribe (the Jews) who ride motorcycles, come from around the world for what's called the "Ride 2 Remember". We eat, complain, argue, eat some more and support a chosen charity that promotes Holocaust education.

i usually design a ride, either leaving from my home in Brooklyn or my place in Nashville.These rides are slab free Last year the event was in Toronto and my route was 1600 miles long and included lots of nothern Quebec. I was joined on that ride by Richard from Australia (He's the fit one)

who rented a Goldwing,

but still dressed for the VFR he rides down under.

For a living , I drive a car carrier, when I went on the Canada trip, I left it on the street in Queens. 2 minutes after getting back to the truck I was surrounded by screaming cops. Seems they had to hire temporary receptionists just to handle all the complaints from homeowners about my truck. I was told not to park anywhere in that precinct if I didn't want the truck impounded. I own a former used car lot in Nashville where I can leave the truck so on this trip, I will get a load of cars going there and put the bike on the back. So which bike.

The route from Nashville to SoCal is all backroads, lots of mountains, some dirt. 3400 miles. My DL650A

Would be the perfect bike for this trip. Comfortable, great handling, zero mechanical issues. Dealer and aftermarket support anywhere in the world. Basically a bike that does everything well. Sure did fine in Canada

Then there's my other bike

The Victory Sport Cruiser. Only 500 of them were made 12 yars ago when Polaris was just learning the motorcycle business. Zero dealer support, heck they don't even know what it is. No aftermarket support, barely any dealers in the US, none in Mexico. Heavy, and feels heavier, eats rear tires every 3k miles, basically, a bike that excells at nothing, but i does look cool. I have reached a fork in the road and I look at the licence plate on the Victory

The Road Less Traveled! The Victory it is!

Since I hadn't ridden the bike for a year since I got the Wee, I bought a new battery, changed the oil and checked the air in the tires, replaced the unbearably loud D&D slipon with a merely annoyingly loud Victory carbon fibre one, heading to Nashville tomorrow.
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote