View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #1941
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
JD, I'm nearing completeion (except for paint) and had planned to leave the muffler stock. I just read the stamping on thye muffler & there is no mention of a spark arrestor. With the cat intact, I feel it's safe, but I don't believe it'll be legal on the trails. I have been checked a couple of times on my KTM.
Thoughts/ideas?
question has been asked, and the answer was that with the OEM muffler in undamaged and unmolested condition, it satisfies that requirement. i say "unmolested" because these mufflers have been split, decatted, and welded back together.

i happen to like the OEM setup, even though heavy. it's quiet, robust, and tucked away under the bike so that the panniers can be fitted tight to the bike with less chance of major damage if ya flop that poor moto.

these bikes weigh 400, and if your experience is like mine, your added ground clearance with the big suspension tends to keep the muffler away from hazards on road conditions where you could expect to run a 400 pounder. the V649 has been in some nasty stuff over the last 30K, and the last time i looked, nary a scratch.

plenty of water crossings, no problems, and i also like the fact that i can throw a floor jack under the thing and lift the bike if necessary.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote