View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
duffs OP
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spingse View Post
Hi
The discussion on WD-40 as been put to the grave many years ago - by a fellow rider http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397
WD-40 does not damage the chain/o-rings, and if you have a stiff oneit might be a good temporary solution to loosen up things.
I would only use it sparse, though, as it is a penetrating oil and you would not want too much to get to the grease inside the other links.
I would also lube frequently for the first many miles if i had any degreasing solution (WD-40) used on my chain.
(My personal philosophy is, that cleaning the chain often causes more damage than good. This philosophy leaves more time for riding, also )

Martin
(My chain/sprockets has held up for 32.000 km so far. I try to lube at every or every other fill-up if i remember (Castrol racing). Front sprocket is starting to look worn)
Martin - nice one on the link! I love a bit of scientific process and that thread is top notch. Interesting that the chain lube affected the o-rings more than I would have expected.

What is your routine after riding in mud or through deep, muddy water? 30,000+ km is what I would expect from a chain. My sprockets both look brand new despite the tight links. I've only ever used a nylon brush on the chain when cleaning, so nothing abrasive...

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote