Old 05-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #42
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,218
Moki Dugway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
Appreciate all the support from everyone

So I'm at a point where I should start booking rooms. There's a few legs of the trip where we're stuck with short distances due to what we have the following day (places and things we'll want to have time to see along the way). For example, from Jackson, WY to Gardiner, MT it's only 152 miles, but the next stop after that is Red Lodge. Red Lodge is after Bear-tooth pass and there's no way I'm not going to allow ourselves enough time to stop along the way. Even with the short distances it looks like we'll have an extra 2 nights. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone as to a few places you think we might want to spend an extra night.

Google maps reached it's limit as t how many points I can have on this map so I've split it into sections. This map HERE will give you an idea as to the route again though.

(and for the record, we've done the 400+ mile days thing in the past and that's NOT what this or any of our trips are about. If we're hauling ass, it's for fun and NOT because we're in a hurry to get anywhere ).

When you are in Utah, you can extend your loop on highway 261 between 95 and 163. Then you can ride the famous "Moki Dugway" switch backs. This is a hard packed dirt road that connects two paved roads. It is not very long on the dirt. My buddy did it on his BMW K1200LT fully loaded and another buddy was on his Ducati so you two will have no problem on this dirt section. The only caution is it might not be a good idea if it happens to be pouring rain. Both times I rode it the weather was perfect.

This will also allow you to connect to Gooseneck State Park, Mexican Hat and Monument Valley which are all close by and still make it to Moab.

It looks like you don't have Glacier National Park and the Going to the sun road on your route. That would also be a great addition to your trip.

Here is a link to Moki Dugway:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Moki_Dugway_1.jpg