Thread: Ecuador
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
After a restful night we had the usual oatmeal & tea on the campstove . It was pretty foggy in the valley and we took our time getting ready to go after more soaking in the pools. There's something about hot springs or sauna and the feeling of well being that one gets after a good session. Being of Finnish decent I prefer a sauna, but I can appreciate a decent hot spring

Strange plants nearby

We were hoping to get a glimpse of the Volcans but with the thick fog, we enjoyed the new blacktop twisting downhill to the Amazonas region.

We really liked the new pavement

We can see the effects Mother Nature has on the roads here, with a new temporary bridge in place as the previous one is swept away.

We are buzzing along, and follow the river and are awestruck by the two-tier waterfall cascading down....

More downhill and we arrive at the junction at Baeza. We fill up both Sherpas. Check out those gas prices! If that's not enough to inspire lots of miles, then the I don't know what is.....

We header southbound into Amazonas country......

Soon we are riding along jungle type plants, ferns & palms leaves big enough to cover your entire body. Lots of simple huts along the road too. The rain got so severe........ We couldn't stay dry even with rain gear. We rode past 12 o'clock looking for somewhere to eat lunch. Finally we found a spot. The rain got worse....

The ground got real soft and the bikes wanted to fall over as the kickstands sank in.....

Finally the rain abated, & we got going again.

We tried to get the perfect jungle photo, but this is the best we could do. There's lots of side roads to explore, but we didn't want to go down them with so much rain recently. Plus we were soaked right through already .

This was very pleasant cruising, mostly top gear stuff.

We saw a cool old bridge so we turned back and went to look at it.

Single lane traffic

At one point we climbed up higher and could see over the delta and get an idea of the vast area with little or no roads, mostly river travel.

I saw these roads on the map, and I had to satisfy my curiosity and ride it. We want to visit each region in Ecuador , Amazonas, Andes & Coastal.

We almost stayed in the town of Tena,but kept rolling towards Puya crossing the Rio Napo.

12$ for a huge room.

We boiled eggs again with noodles & tea. Trying to reign in the budget after the $$$$ termales.
Room $12
Gas. $5
Store. 4.50
Lunch $5
-------
$26.50 or $13.25 per person for the day in South America. JD you'll like it.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 07:23 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote