View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #2545
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
I've been back in Bassett for 10 days now and the lawn's mowed the bills are paid and I still have some gas money. Throttlemeister has graciously agreed to let me borrow his KLR to take over to Arkansas to the SLAP ADVrally. So even though I am bikeless, it looks like I can ease back into a non-riding lifestyle.

I am testing that theory anyway. Headed out for Oklahoma this morning. Shortly after passing through Funk Nebraska and crossing over the Republican river into Kansas I saw a sign for the world's biggest ball of twine. Had to check that out:

They actually have a bench for sitting and pondering the twine. I can think of stranger things to do I suppose, but none come to mind.

Across the street was an old time gas station from the thirties:

I remember stopping in stations like this in rural America back when they had pumps between the pillars before there were interstate freeways.

I passed a rather nice large mural in Western Kansas on the side of an historic brick building and thought about taking a pic. I drove on by and got to the edge of town when Huey Lewis came on the classic rock station and started belting out "The Heart of Rock and Roll is Still Beating." I took it as a sign from the prairie photography goddess and turned around and got a pic:

The temps are in the high 90's today:

It's hard for me to pass up taking a picture of a sign with my last name on it:

Or a water tower for that matter:

These kinds of pictures have absolutely zero interest for anyone but my immediate family. And yet I can't stop posting them.

I checked out the city of Downs Kansas pioneer cemetery. There was a large central memorial dedicated to the two dozen founding families. It was alphabetical. Nobody named Downs between Joe Boomer and Elmer Fink so I guess they named the town for the vast green meadows like Churchill downs.

I'm currently at a McDonalds somewhere in central Kansas a few hundred miles northwest of Throttlemeister's place. The plan is to meet him tommorrow and head over to the SLAP rally this weekend. It seems fitting that some of the first ADVriders I met when I started out towards South America last October will be there.

Should be fun. I will report back what I find.

Adios amigos,
Okie Juan Kenobe

JDowns screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 06:41 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote