View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #87
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Good question MrGoldfish. It really depends.

This one was shot with an 8mm Fisheye Lens at f5.6, iso400, and a 30 second shutter time. There was a bright moon and I used a small flashlight to paint the foreground a little.

You can usually use a 25 to 30 second shutter speed with a wide angle lens, but as your focal length gets longer (zoomed in) the movement of the stars becomes more noticeable. At 25 seconds the stars are already elongated.
Hmmm... I see your painting now. The tree on the right side of the photo isn't lit up as much as the stuff in the foreground.

I would like to get a camera that I can take night shots with so I want to make sure it can keep the shutter open long enough to gather enough light so that my photo will turn out. I was checking out the Pentax cameras after I heard that you use them. Specifically the 5. Seems like a pretty versatile camera while being somewhat compact. I didn't really see what the difference was between the S model and the standard is though.

As always, I love your ride reports and photos that go along with them. Keep it up!
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote