View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #5031
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
There are two ground connections near the starter and both are suspect. One is direct to the battery and I think the other is to the ECU.

here you can see one above the starter and one below. The lower one goes to the battery. Remember that the - side of the battery is on the right so that ground cable is going from high right side of the bike to low left, it's a fairly long run and the cable is not very thick. Add to that the fact that the stud is only 6mm. Not a great situation.

A solution is to move both grounds to better connections. Here's a photo of the new battery ground.

I am using a bolt that secures the transmission to the block, on the right side of the engine. Not only is it a larger bolt, it's much easier to check for corrosion.

For the other ground (ECU?) I moved that to one of the starter bolts.

Once again, larger bolt and easier to see.

To upgrade the ground and starter wires I had new ones made up by http://www.motolectric.com/products/hicap.detail.html.
The new wires are made with very fine stranded copper that is much more flexible and of a larger diameter than OEM. Since the ground connection serves the entire system it should have a small benefit to everything electrical...heck, it can't hurt!

Peter Y.
Question Peter,

Did you have to drill out the cable lug or is the hole size large enough to use on the larger bolts?
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote