View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #53
N-Id-Jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
With the fuel cell recharged I headed East up Hwy 12 along the Clearwater River, to the Greer Settlement, which just a tiny burg. There the Idaho Hwy 11 ascends the Greer Grade for about 5 miles at 7% grade and 100% curve factor. If I was more thoughtful I would have some photo evidence, but seeing as how I was behind bars at the time, I was busy! Once atop the plateau the Hwy arcs gracefully through the small towns of Weippe, Pierce, and Headquarters, with some interesting sights along the way.

This looked like a bad day for these folks.

The old town...

I don't really see it, can you?

If you have a worn a little flat spot on your rear tire patch, this route will soon wear the sidewalls off to give a round profile again. From Hwy 12 to Aquarius it is about 65 miles of twisting and writhing undulations that will either wear you out or energize you. I heated up my tires for all I was worth till I got to the North Fork of the Clearwater River.

This is river that feeds the Dworshak Reservoir, and today it is running rapidly with the spring melt off.

All the tributaries are running full as well

This is where you find Aquarius

The road to Headquarters looks like this..

Is this the Headquarters??

After a couple more hours of flogging the VFR, I ended up in Lewiston at the Hells gate State Park.. Mmmmm Cold Beer in a nice shady spot on a warm day.
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote