View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post
what up, ADV? i'm new here, usually hang out on Ducati forums. but i am headed to the Alps on friday and i have no plans for the following week other than a BMW k1300s and sleeping in cheap hotels.

any tips would be greatly appreciated, never ridden in the mountains before. never ridden a k-bike. don't know what i'm doing or were i'll go, though i think i'll start with the grossglockner road: http://www.grossglockner.at/en/hocha...asse/motorrad/

i would really welcome any and all advice! i was thinking of heading south, to bologna. but really no plans at all... just want to ride!
Sounds like you've got it all in hand already!

Grossglockner is 'open' as of May 1 but check for the current situation. If it isn't open, you can try the parallel roads to the east and west. All three go to Lienz and from there you can run down to the Dolomites, which are primo. Great stuff SW of Cortina, which is not to say that is the only good area.

Most of the Alps passes are still closed until June 1 generally, except for the low ones and those that carry the most traffic.

Bologna? If it's just a way to get more to the south, I'd recommend that you go via Modena and then pick up SS12 to Lucca. Lots of good riding all around Florence and then there's Tuscany.