View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post
...but i am headed to the Alps on friday and i have no plans for the following week other than a BMW k1300s and sleeping in cheap hotels.
Sounds like a plan

One question - where are you starting from?

The Glockner is open - but weather happens.

With a week, I'd do something like this:

Grossglockner

Nockalmstrasse

Drop south into Villach and then west into the Dolomites.
Get a room for at least 3 nights in either Arabba or Corvara in Badia.
Overdose on some of the best roads and scenery in the world - the roads WILL be open, as this is a major year-round tourist area - but you'll be there between seasons, so no crowds.

Dress warmly - you'll be at altitude and at the latitude of Quebec.

South of the Alps, you'll be in a densely populated area with lots of slow traffic. Not fun. If you REALLY want to go to Bologna (actually Borgo Paginale, I assume), head south from Cortina and pick up the Autostrada at Ponte nelle Alpi (about 67 kms south of Cortina) and take that to Borgo Paginale (about 300 kms). You'll get the same scenery without the slow traffic, and you can let the K bike loose. A bit

If you do go to Borgo - about 40 kms west is Maranello and the Ferarri museum - it would be a shame not to pick up the two-fer.

50 days until I'm in the air for another 3 fun-filled weeks in those hills

And, as Jim said,

Quote:
Just ride 'till ya puke, there's no bad roads in the Alps.
BTW - 250 - 300 kms/day makes for a busy day. Speeds are low and stops for pics, etc. are frequent. Don't plan on US style distances.

My 2011 ride stats over 15 riding days - which has been pretty consistent over the years:

The "Max Speed" was probably on the Nurburgring Nordschliefe.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures

MichaelJ screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 05:13 AM
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote