View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #10699
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 463
Widest front tire

Folks,

I am tentatively planning a trip to Alaska with my 17 year old son. We would leave the first week in July. He will be riding the Dakar (me, I will be on my 1200 GSA).

I am looking to get a second set of tires to ship up there (either Fairbanks or Whitehorse) for the bikes. We are planning to ride the Dalton Hwy (We hiked and have driven the Dempster hwy 3 times now). Because most of the ride will be mostly pavement with some gravel (save for the Dalton.. which can be sludge). I am leaning towards Metzler Toruances. However, I was thinking that a larger (wider front tire) would be nice for him especially in cornering. He is new to riding and we will be taking it nice and slow on two lane roads all the way up from our home in Washington State.

I am looking around and am wondering what the largest tire I could get on the front that would be road friendly and still have some dirt capability (I don't want big commando off-road tires).

2nd question...
I was also thinking of converting the rims to tubeless. To avoid the flat hassles associated with tubed wheels. Anyone done this? Like it?

Was looking at the Outex tubeless kit.

Thanks for your help.
RR: Bella Coola 2013 / Bella Coola Canada 2012
RR: Our Life Behind Bars

GrizzLee screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 11:31 AM
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote