View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
duffs OP
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
One thing to check, or have checked, is chain alignment. If your back wheel/sprocket is ka-ka in the swing arm, relative to the path to the front sprocket, the chain will get pissed off at you sooner than later.

Also, the art of proper chain tension a debatable uhh, debate. Load your bike with moderate gear, or heavy if you normally haul heavy. Sit upon the beast.

Now have someone ELSE check your chain tension, slack between here and there, etc. One cannot really check the chain tension without having the rider and gear on there if you are talking about a bike with rear suspension and a swing arm, cause the slack is going to change under a load, unless you have some rigid Harley get up, i dunno. Remember, looser better than too tight in this situation. It's not a cheerleader

Kerosene has been used for more years by farmers and frontier techs to free up rusted crappy gears, stuck pistons and chain type devices. It wont hurt nothing. Get it by the gallon, or liter if you ain't from around here....... pour it in a wash pan and keep rinsing the chain and go at it with a toothbrush until the "bath water" (Kerosene) is cleanish.

Couple times a season, anyway. I have some in a spray bottle for in between. Works great on a swing arm to take off all the expensive cake eater chain lube most of us wasted our money on, you know, the stuff that is not supposed to fly off and get stuck on your swingarm.... but does anyway..... Kerosene a great rim and spoke detail spray.

I shop around and find white lithium spray-grease. There are different brands, but I stopped using store bought chain lube and have many, many trouble free miles on my chains. If you have a crappy spot, your done.

Find a nice aftermarket provider of decent generic type chains and sprockets.... like rocky mountain atv motorcycle supply. $89 bucks for a new chain and front and rear sprockets for a KLR as an example.

If it's some foo-foo bike that they don't cover, then ditch the bike brother .

Just the unpolished babblings of a complete mad-man. Don't listen to a thing I said.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/
Thanks for this - I do keep the chain on the floppier side as I usually ride 2-up (daily commute). And double-check the alignment by measuring the position of the axle on each side.

4 litres of kerosene (sold as paraffin here) is less than £7 so cheap as chips, will def get some for the new chain - 1/10th the cost of £££££ commercial chain cleaners.

Was thinking more about the original chain - when I had my tyres replaced last October the f**king idiots at the tyre shop over-tensioned the chain when they put the wheel back on and I didn't notice this until after a weekend a heavy trail riding using the full range of suspension travel. It is very likely something got stretched/damaged, the chain barely had 10mm of slack (BMW recommend 35-45mm). And they left one of the axle locking bolts loose. Bloody knobheads. Although I only have myself to blame because I didn't check when I collected the bike, you'd think you wouldn't need to going to a 'professional'. Lesson learnt.

Blog: Blogspot **SO NEW IT STINKS!** Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote