View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
duffs OP
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,177
Chain - fused links after 7k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
I've never cleaned my chain, but always keep it lubed (when I can). I use whatever oil I have for lube, old fork oil, ATF, dry teflon, wax lube, whatever. Never used solvents on it. 18,500 miles and still going strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
My experience has always been those most obsessed by chain maintenance are those most likely to have trouble with their chains, no matter what cleaning/non-cleaning/lubricating/smoking with incense regime they use. Outright neglect seems the only way to make chains last, IMHO. My original CZ chain is still, as far as I can tell, made of metal and attached to the motorcycle. Good enough
Yup, agree that the abrasion from scrubbing the shite out of the chain too much can't be any good for the o-rings. My biggest worry is leaving all sorts of dirt/dust/sand/etc on it after riding muddy trails. My old bike (strictly a road bike) was still on the original chain after 10,000 miles, and I barely did any maintenance on it other than a spray of lube now and then, although that bike never saw anything worse than a pothole on a paved road.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 04:19 PM
duffs is online now   Reply With Quote