View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #64
hyper7driver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Every driver on the road is dangerous, none of them intend to or want to kill anyone. They are going to pull out in front of bikes and kill riders and there's absolutely nothing the law can do about it. Nothing. You could make it so the punishment is 10 years of torture and their whole family gets killed by the state, wouldn't matter. Everyone would be terrified of hitting a rider, but they would still do it, because there's nothing the driver can do about it. Given that fact of life, by charging each one that is unlucky enough to kill a rider with manslaughter, you aren't improving the situation for riders by doing this at all. You would simply be exacting vengeance and wasting money.

For the folks that are deliberately negligent and kill a biker, such as speeding 20 over around a blind corner and killing a rider waiting to turn left, lock them up forever, sure. But performing a normal maneuver because they literally can not see the rider shouldn't be grounds for any kind of severe punishment.
You mentality is well thought out, but wrong. Someone, who in this case was under the influence, is MUCH MORE DANGEROUS than someone who isn't.

Let me make another, more reasonable point simple as I can. Riders as a whole are more cautious than drivers in a cage. Right? Right! Why? They have more at stake pending their choices, even their very lives are at more risk than someone in a car. Right? Right! So, if penalties DRASTICALLY INCREASED to EVERYONE behind the wheel of a cage, they would take more responsibility and care while driving. Right? I do believe so.

You can't judge people by motive alone, and ignore the end results. If you did, then you lay no responsibility on the individuals at fault. If I where to get drunk, and fire a gun at some object in someone's yard, (my own yard, neighbor's, whoever,) and instead accidentally hit and kill someone, I would be charged with murder. Right? But my motive was not to hit the person, why am I being charged? Cause of very poor thinking, decisions, and actions, and their end results. The same goes in driving. Vehicles are deadly weapons, if used in that manor, just like a gun, knife, whatever. Therefore, the charge in my opinion should be no less than if they accidentally shot this guys friend. After all, the formula for the cause of death in the two cases is almost identical. Carelessness, impaired, poor judgement, resulting in fatal actions. Only difference is the tool used to cause the death of an innocent victim.
hyper7driver is offline   Reply With Quote