View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #17051
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Remember the years?

Mine was failing at the small end, as have a number I have seen on here and elswhere.
Most likely a product of inexperience and lugging the motor too much, and opposite of what the sumo guys are doing to the engine.

So I guess it is prone to failure at high and low speeds, atleast on certain years?
It seems to be the earlier ones from what I can tell, but there's been a couple cases of it occurring on some newer ones too, even early enough to have a few fixed by the dlr but no recall. I heard it's a tolerance issue when the crank is pressed together at the factory. Seems that would be easy enough to check prior to assembly. If one is lucky enough, they notice flakes of babbet in the filter which is the thrust washer material. It doesn't take long for them to deteriorate once it starts, then the oil pressure drops. Sometimes this is followed by a big vent hole in the case if being run hard. I wouldn't call it a problem though, there was allot of XRRs sold and by far it's a very reliable motor. Luggin 'em isn't good but lets face it, you can't ride it fast all the time (at least I can't) and as far as I know, the problem isn't related to a type of riding. I think the lugging is hardest on the cam chain.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote