Thread: DR350 Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #15919
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Unless the fuel level is so high that it's draining into the overflow tube, or so low that it's below the jets, there is really no reason to adjust the level.
In most cases, an incorrect float height adjustment alone is not sufficient to cause overflowing.
Quote:
As long as it's in that (large) range, the jets and float needle will accept the exact same amount of fuel.
Float height doesn't really make much difference on most slide carbs I've seen. This is not the case with CV carbs, where there are instances when if the float height is incorrect, the carbuertion will never be able to be gotten right. I routinely use float height as a tuning tool, typically when low rpm fueling across all openings is too rich and a smaller needle jet/emulsion tube or jet needle with a larger base diameter is not available.
Quote:
In other words, it will be very obvious when the fuel level needs an adjustment.
If you've got a steady state dyno with at least the ability to read CO%, then that's correct.
Quote:
And if the tab doesn't look clearly tampered with, you probably have another issue like the floats containing debris, the small spring in the float needle is stuck, etc.
If the carb is overflowing, it in my experience has only to do with a damaged float needle, damaged needle seat o-ring, damaged float pivot, dirty float seat, fuel having leaked inside the floats, etc., but never with adjustment.
Quote:
In my experience, I've found that usually the fuel level being off won't cause anything but drastic issues.
I thought you were asserting that it won't cause any drastic issues.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote