View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 806
This Overland is very well made! Just enough pockets and doo dads to have enough utility, while remaining minimalist.

The armor is much more substantial than I thought it would be. It is great quality stuff, and I see no reason to upgrade it. The spine protector needed some help with a utility knife to finish the vent holes - a 5 min job.

The M fits me well - 6', 155 pounds (cyclist's physique). The sleeves are long enough, and the dropped tail all are good. (I often have issues with stuff being too short in these areas). The jacket is a little bulky on my skinny frame, but that will allow met to wear a fleece or down underneath as well as body armor when necessary; I like those options.

I can fit my Dainese compression suit/spine protector underneath if I remove the KLIM's shoulder and spine armor. I will be using the jacket both ways: with it's included armor for road rides, and with the compression suit for more offroad stuff. In other words, this is going to do double duty as my touring jacket and my enduro jacket.
The sleeve cinch strap should keep the jacket's elbow armor in place better, plus reduce bulk and wind drag. This was a key differentiator vs the Traverse for me. If I was not planning to use the jacket's armor and would always be wearing body armor underneath, I probably would have opted for the Traverse. It's price is better if you're 100% Enduro mode.

With the included jacket's armor, I can wear my Leatt over the top of everything comfortably. I do not think that will work with the jacket as a shell, and my Dainese suit underneath it.

The venting could be better. The vents that it has are are large, but some sort of chest or front of arm vent would be a nice addition.
I think it will be hot under 40mph, but haven't had hot weather here yet to actually test.

The styling details are much better than the Traverse, in my opinion.

I will be pairing this jacket with KLIM Dakar pants for a 4-week Western US trip in July (OBDR, CDT, western TAT). For road stuff around the tri-state, either the Dakar or heavy jeans.

Again, great customer service from Atomic; they were highly communicative and got an M drop shipped from KLIM HQ for me.
To be honest, I would have gone with Revzilla if they had the gear earlier, but they didn't have as good information to share and received their KLIM goods a few days after Atomic Moto.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.

rpet screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 04:39 PM
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote