View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #90
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,106
Support vehicle

DolphinJohn, if you don't mind me answering here your question regarding the practicality of a support vehicle ...

A pickup or SUV to haul fuel, water, coolers, camping gear etc. is a terrific idea! In fact, a couple of other groups who will be traveling the route this season will be doing just that.

This is a multi-mode route, ideal for both off-highway-capable motorcycles and cages. The route has no single-track sections, although there are a few rough segments, and segments that are subject to substantial storm erosion.

A couple of years ago I led a German motorcycle tour company -- including four-time Paris-Dakar finisher Eddy Hau -- on much of the route, using a support SUV and trailer, shown below:

In fact, the route grew out of my many years chronicling Western backroads in Toyota SUVs for my adventure-motoring guidebooks, and magazines like Road & Track's Open Road, National Geographic Adventure, Mercedes Momentum and others.

Additional proof ...

But this is a motorcycling forum, and the rules advise against four-wheeled content. So lest I get banned ...

byways screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 10:55 AM Reason: add photos
byways is offline   Reply With Quote