View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #5953
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
+1 more or less. The subframe can crack after heavy use but is easily welded, as it is mild steel. But it makes sense to have a spare subframe if one can get one cheap.

The swing arm pivot bolt is known to get stuck, and the frame pipes can rust under the engine.

That is about is as far as I know.
The sidestand mount can break off of the frame also. If, however, one were to use the sidestand for its intended purpose (holding the bike up), it will last forever. I believe the trouble arises when folks rest on the seat with the sidestand holding both them and the bike. The sidestand mount on my old '98 frame had been partially torn off and re-welded by a previous owner.

Not my bike.
Photo by 2old2race

-----------

The subframes have been known to break for various reasons, curiously in pretty much the same spot. The small-diameter cross tube must flex quite a bit, and the triangular gusset stops that motion, creating a stress riser.

Photo by Dr.Lewell

Photo by Dr.Lewell

Re-weld and reinforcement isn't difficult though. Mine had been broken by a previous owner and repaired & reinforced in the same manner illustrated above.

More on Subframe Breakage here on the XR4 Thread:
Post numbers 1682, 1691-98, 1713, 1768, & 2326
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 05:46 PM
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote