Thread: The Roxy Report
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #41
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
About 3 miles from my house is where the pavement ends. Surprising actually, because there arenít any (or at least many) other unpaved roads that Iím aware of this close by. Iím glad I found this road, because it gets remote real quick and makes me feel further away from the hustle and bustle of the city than I actually am.

There are several miles of this type of gravel road, very well maintained (although sometimes a bit excessive on the loose gravel, making things feel a bit squirrely at times), and somewhat straight and flat - the typical Oklahoma grid with stop signs every mile.

After a few miles on this gravel road I turned west, south of Keifer and towards some hopefully interesting terrain that I havenít explored before. At least Google maps make it look more interesting! Speaking of Google maps, as I am about to find out (and have experienced several times before), you just cannot trust them (probably any maps to be honest, but since I use Google, thatís who Iíll call out) to plan a ride. Iíve found that there are a whole bunch of roads that are clearly marked as roads, numbers and all, but then are either private, gated or just donít exist at all except for faint tracks in the grass later when viewing from Google Earth. When I have the time, I typically like to look fairly closely on Google Earth before I go anywhere so I donít waste a bunch of time hitting dead ends. This time I didnít have the time though, so I knew it was going to be a gamble with many of the places I had planned to go to.