View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #39
GISdood OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Sunday was the only 'nice' day in the long weekend forecast so I figured I'd get out for a ride and a bit of fishing, even if it was just a small lake right off of the highway.

Hart Lake, just north of Prince George.

I was loaded up and ready to leave around 9ish...

After grabbing some snacks and fueling up the bike, I hit the road north. 45 min later, here we are...

No gas-powered boats allowed, only electric trolling motors, only single baitless barbless hooks, and being a 'trophy' lake, you can't keep anything OVER 40cm (I was here strictly for catch & release anyway, tho).

After gearing up and tucking all my riding gear away in my baggage, it was onto the water. I rigged up my line as I flipped my way out past the weeds, idly looking around as a drifted out into deeper water. Spotted this guy checking out the waters from a much better vantage point than I had...

I've fished here before quite a bit, although it had been a while since the last time. I went with what I recalled having the most luck. A medium-sized leech pattern with a bit of flash in it on a sinking line. 20 min later, success from the shallow weed bed...

I tried to get another shot of this beauty, but to no avail. I took him out of the net and laid him on the apron of my float tube (which has 18" of measuring lines painted on it), and held him still to get an idea of size. He was at least 2" longer than the extent of lines available. So I dunked my left hand to rinse the fish slime off and then reached for my camera. He took my one-handed grip as opportunity to abandon ship. Oh well... at least I know he had plenty of energy left and would be completely fine.

Another local angler...

There were a pair of these loons popping up and disappearing throughout the afternoon, making their crazy-sounding calls intermittently.

After the breeze had blown me clear across the lake I started making my way around the the lake. Never got anything else to the net, but I did have several more entertaining battles - none that felt as big as the first one, but fun nonetheless.

Looking back towards the dock...

Finally back on land after paddling into the wind the whole time... getting packed up and ready to head out...

coming down across the rails was pretty easy, the threshold was built up quite nicely. The approach coming from the lakeside was not so friendly. Better make sure and hit it square...

I made a quick little trip back into Bear Lake to grab something cold to drink and to have a snack. Parked outside in the sun for a bit...

Exchanged a few txts with the wife letting her know where I was and when I'd be expected home. Watching the locals come and go from the convenience store...

Got home in time to do some yardwork in the sun... I'll spare you the details/photos of that 'fun'. :P

Til next time...
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote