View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #60
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
You know, I've seen several people refer to 320mm front suspension. Originally Pyndon, and more recently Alex at Konflict. I'm not sure if they're transposing numbers or what, but the stock KTM EXC/SX forks run 300mm/302mm respectively. WP stuff is already a little edgy when it comes to overlap between the fork housing and the stanchion tubes (Íhlins complete forks run 24mm extra), so I can't recomend or even imagine pushing them another 20mm. The big bikes place a crap load of force on the fork slider bushings. To decrease that overlap even a small amount can cause the fork bushings to wear quickly and the forks will start to flex and become unstable.
I presume the 310mm travel I have on the front of the SE came from reducing overlap? As far as I know, there are no clearance issues on the front - as the upper travel limit hasn't changed. I cant remember now if we put EXC inner tubes or used the originals - its too long ago ...

Not sure what was done in the shock - but I know it was all done with off-the-shelf WP parts so that it would be affordable.

Chris at OnTrack Racing (http://www.on-trackracing.com/) was the guy who did mine (not sure if he also had a connection with the work Pyn was doing)

PC, I had a recollection you were running 320mm suspension on your bike. Do I remember wrong, or did it change?

Having another option for the shock would be nice - but Im a bit loathe to give up the height on my SE as I have grown to love it.

mookymoo screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 06:46 PM
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote