Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
- The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien
I've always had a bit of wanderlust. Even as a kid, I remember jumping on my bicycle and just exploring. To me, a bike meant freedom and I was lucky to live in an era when nobody had to worry about their kids. Every dirt path became an "Indian trail." Scraps of wood were misappropriated to become clubhouses. But you have to eventually grow up. Right?

I joined the Army right out of High School. My mode of transportation changed, but I still had the wanderlust. I traveled a lot by myself, often taking pictures of my foot in famous places to document my journeys. The best thing about the Army was that it gave me the opportunity to meet a beautiul woman. We got married, settled down, and had children. Damn, kids really put a damper on freedom. But you have to eventually grow up. Right?

Well, it took a long time (20+ years), but we're finally at a point in our lives where we have the time and resources to have some fun again. I re-joined the Army Reserve after an 18-year break in service. The wife bought a motorcycle; I bought two. You know what I discovered? Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

The Yamaha WR250R is the perfect bike for me. It's like an oversized mountain bike, but will allow me to go anywhere I want to go. I've only been riding on two wheels about 18 months, but I lost 13 months to a deployment in Southwest Asia. In the remaining 5 months, I've managed to put 2600 miles on my little bike. In that time, I've joined other ADVriders on three occasions and had a blast.

Stealing the idea from others, I thought it would be interesting to start a thread so I can track my adventures. Hopefully, I can look back in a few years and see how bad I was or how far I've progressed. If I'm really lucky, my kids will find this thread some day and say, "Damn, dad was cool back in the day."

September 3, 2011 - The adventure begins

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 08:22 PM
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote