View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #62
jackflash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
If I would catch the guy who runs me of the road when I'm on a bike, I'll be the one who will most likely go to jail, after I finish with him.
It is then up to the jurge to determine the right punishement for me.

When I have done my time I would like to get a second chance in life.
I can not disagree more, with the public naming and shaming that apparently is concidered perfectly normal in the US.

This guy will never get a normal job and whatever honest live be builds-up after he has served his time, will always be ruined when people around him at some point unavoidably get confronted with his past. (internet will only get worst that way in the future)
I think the guy is a real dick that should be punished very hard, but when that is over, it should be over.
Otherwise you are intentionally creating an unavoidable downward spiral in a persons life, that can result in nothing but trouble for anyone around him.
(like that little boy in the back seat)
I agree for the most part. I, for one, am normally against law suits and think they should only be used as a last resort.

On the other hand, who is supposed to pay for all the medical bills the two riders will receive once the insurance runs out? Not only that, but who is to pay for all the wages lost do to the mishap? And the trauma inflicted on the riders?

Leave all the mental anguish/trauma out of it. Just look at it on a monetary basis.

Bike
Medical Bills for two people (This could be by far the biggest cost.)
Lost Wages for two people (Maybe even a Job, depending on the employer.)

That's just the three things off the top of my head that I can think of and I am sure there is more than that. I bet insurance would cover, maybe a third of that, maybe a little more.

Are you saying the riders, in this case, should be responsible and have to pay these debts.

I understand they may of had their part in the "exchange of words", but they did not use deadly force and then flee the seen.